Our torsoes have a language of their own, and their words arent always kind. Your body language has likely become an integral part of who you are, to the point where you might not even should be considered it.
If thats the lawsuit, its time to start, because you could be sabotaging your career.
TalentSmart has tested more than a million people and found that the upper echelons of top performance are filled with people who are high in emotional intelligence( 90 percent of top performers, to be exact ). These people know the power that unspoken signals have in communication and they monitor their own body language accordingly.
Body language is a very powerful tool. We had body language before we had speech, and apparently, 80 percent of what you understand in a conversation is read through the body , not the words. – Deborah Bull
When youre working hard and doing all you can to achieve your goals, anything that can give you an edge is powerful and will streamline your path to success. Merely make certain you dont become victims of any of these body language blunders.
1. Exaggerated gestures can imply that youre stretching the truth. Aim for small, controlled gestures to indicate leadership and confidence, and open gestureslike spreading your arms apart or proving the palms of your handsto communicate that you have nothing to hide.
2. Crossed arms create a physical impediment that proposes youre not open to what the other person is saying. Even if youre smiling or engaged in a pleasant conversation, the other person may get a nagging sense that youre shutting him or her out. Even if folding your arms feels comfy, resist the exhort to do so if you want people to see you as open-minded and interested in what they have to say.
3. Inconsistency between your words and your facial expression induces people to sense that something isnt right and they begin to is hypothesized that youre trying to deceive them, even if they dont know exactly why or how.
For example, a nervous smile while rejecting an offer during a negotiation wont help you get what you want; it will just build the other person feel uneasy about working with you because theyll assume that youre up to something.
4. Becoming yourself away from others , or not leaning into your conversation, portrays that you are unengaged, unconcerned, uncomfortable, and perhaps even distrustful of the person speaking.
Try leaning in towards the person who is speaking and tilt your chief somewhat as you listen to them speak. This shows the person speaking that they have your complete focus and attention.
5. Slouching is evidence of disrespect. It communicates that youre borne and have no desire to be where you are. You would never tell your boss, I dont understand why I have to listen to you, but if you slouch, you dont have toyour body mentions it for you, loud and clear.
The brain is hardwired to liken power with the amount of space people take up. Standing up straight-out with your shoulders back is a power position. It maximizes the amount of space you fill. Slouching, on the other hand, is the result of collapsing your formit takes up less space and programmes less power. Preserving good posture commands respect and promotes engagement from both ends of the conversation.
6. Avoiding eye contact induces it look like you have something to hide, and that wakens mistrust. Lack of eye contact can also indicate a lack of confidence and concern, which you never want to communicate in a business define. Maintained eye contact, on the other hand, communicates confidence, leadership, strength, and intelligence. While it is possible to be engaged without direct, constant eye contact, complete negligence will clearly have negative effects on your professional relationships.
7. Eye contact thats too intense may be perceived as aggressive, or an attempt to dominate. On median, Americans comprise eye contact for seven to ten seconds, longer when were listening than when were talking. The behavior we transgress contact sends a message, too. Glancing down communicates submission, while looking to the side projects confidence.
8. Watching the clock while talking to someone is a clear sign of disrespect, impatience, and inflated ego. It mails the message that you have something better to do than talk to the person youre with, and that youre anxious to leave them.
9. Exaggerated nodding signals anxiety about approval. People may perceive your heavy nods as an attempt to show you agree with or understand something that you actually dont.
10. Fidgeting with or setting your whisker signals that youre anxious, over-energized, self-conscious, and distracted. People will perceive you as too concerned with your physical appearance and not concerned enough with your career.
11. Scowling or having a generally unhappy expres mails the message that youre upset by those around you, even if they have nothing to do with your mood. Scowls turn people away, as they seem judged. Smiling, nonetheless, been shown that youre open, trustworthy, confident, and friendly. MRI analyses have shown that the human brain reacts favorably to a person whos smiling, and this leaves a lasting positive impression.
12. Weak handshakes signal that you lack authority and confidence, while a handshake that is too strong could be perceived as an aggressive endeavor at dominance, which is just as bad. Adapt your handshake to each person and situation, but make sure its always firm.
13. Getting too close . If you stand too close to someone( nearer than one and a half feet ), it signals that you have no respect for or understanding of personal space. This will build people very uncomfortable when theyre around you.
Avoiding these body language gaffes will help you form stronger relationships, both professionally and personally.
Please share your thoughts in specific comments part, as I learn as much from you as you do from me. If you d like to learn more, my book Emotional Intelligence 2.0 is a great place to start.
Read more: http :// www.huffingtonpost.com/ enter/ 13 -body-language-blunders-that-make-you-look-bad_us_5 8b88c2fe4b02eac8876cc70? ncid= inblnkushpmg0 0000009